Infrastructure Minister John O Dowd has announced the completion of a £2.8 million flood alleviation scheme on the Glenbrook River in the Cregagh Road / Montgomery Road area of East Belfast.
Construction of approximately 750 metres of flood alleviation measures is now complete with just some planting and minor finishes to be concluded on the scheme.
Minister John O Dowd said:
“The completion of this significant scheme should reduce the risk of flooding to approximately 285 homes in the area which is welcome news for the local community.
“Many people in this area have experienced the heart-breaking consequences caused by flooding events in the past and I hope they see today as a positive milestone for the protection of this community.”
Notes to editors:
- Attached photo show completed Flood Alleviation Scheme at Glenbrook River, Belfast
- On this project where it was possible, the river channel remained open and exposed, rather than the traditional closed culverting solution bringing both social and environmental benefits. Leaving the watercourse largely open allows more daylight into the river and improves bio diversity. This approach also helps to develop a social connection with the river, bringing it back to life as a focal point, a technique successfully employed on the Connswater Community Greenway project, to which this scheme connects.
- The designers of the scheme were Amey Consulting, the contractors were Lowry Building & Civil Engineering.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Statistical Press Release – Travel to and from school by children in Northern Ireland 2021/22 23 March 2023
- £550,000 road improvement scheme for A22 Belfast / Comber Road, Comber 22 March 2023
- £520,000 road improvement scheme in Caledon 16 March 2023
- Planning fees to increase from 6 April 15 March 2023