Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has welcomed a €6 million investment in the Ulster Canal from the Taoiseach’s Shared Island Fund. This is part of the Irish Government’s commitment to work with the NI Executive to deliver the Ulster Canal project.
Welcoming the investment, Minister Mallon said:
“Today’s NSMC marked another important step in collaboration across our island. The Taoiseach has delivered on his promises to invest in infrastructure by announcing this six million euro investment in the Ulster Canal. This is part of the crucial work I will be doing in partnership with the Irish Government to deliver transformative infrastructure projects that citizens in Ireland have waited too long for.
“I am delighted to see the continuing progress that is being made on the Ulster Canal restoration project. Over two kilometres of new navigation from Upper Lough Erne near Quivvy Lough along the River Finn to a new boating destination at Castle Saunderson is now navigable. The allocation of this funding from the Shared Island Fund will help to further progress Phase 2 of the restoration of the Ulster Canal, from Clones to Clonfad.
“Investment in the Ulster Canal sends out a positive message to the people of Fermanagh and the wider area. It will help to boost our tourism offer and further enhance this inland waterway system as a premier tourist attraction. It is particularly welcome during these difficult times.
“As we look forward now to 2021 I will continue to work in partnership with the Taoiseach, my counterpart Minister Eamonn Ryan TD and right across the Irish Government to ensure that the investment the Irish Government has committed to advance our shared island is delivered to communities and citizens.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- LED street lighting upgrade for Newcastle Main Street 15 January 2021
- Publication of DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – December 2020 15 January 2021
- Road improvement scheme at Dublin Road, Castlewellan to commence 14 January 2021
- LED Street Lighting Upgrade Scheme, St Canice’s Park, Eglinton 14 January 2021