Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has put further measures in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
From today, community transport operators funded by the Department have been asked to suspend all Disability Action Transport Services and to significantly restrict Dial-a-Lift services to essential journeys only.
Minister Mallon said:
“In normal circumstances, community transport plays a very significant role in bringing people together and addressing social isolation in particular, for some of our most vulnerable friends and neighbours, but at this critical time, I have to take every step I can to protect the public.
“This is not a decision which I have taken lightly, but one that I am making with the health and well-being of service users and the staff and the volunteers within each of these organisations.
“I want the community transport operators to be able to contribute to wider efforts to support the vulnerable so I will maintain their funding through this unparalleled period and my officials are willing to enter into discussions with operators to establish what scope there is for them to support their members and wider society during these times.”
“We are now in an extraordinary time and we must listen to the advice and guidance given on social distancing, helping shield those who may be most vulnerable to the virus. The advice is clear, stay at home to save lives. I know this will be incredibly difficult, but we must each play our part in keeping ourselves and others safe, and slowing the transmission of COVID-19.”
Health advice and information on government services is available at:
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Mallon refuses planning permission for Doraville Wind Farm 26 October 2020
- £148,000 road improvement scheme at Glenburn Road, Dunmurry 23 October 2020
- Mallon welcomes An Taoiseach partnership approach to delivering on an all-island infrastructure 22 October 2020
- Council receives an update on infrastructure projects for Mid Ulster District Council 2020 22 October 2020