Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has welcomed the announcement in today’s budget from the Irish government of their commitment to spend €500 Million over the course of the next five years on key infrastructure projects across the island.
Minister Mallon commented:
“I am delighted to see the Irish Government has committed to such significant investment for the delivery of all island infrastructure projects. For many years the potential of the North-South strand of the Good Friday Agreement has been largely neglected. Critical investment in our infrastructure on projects such as Narrow Water Bridge and the A5 as set out in New Decade, New Approach will transform our island economy not least in the face of Covid, Brexit, and the climate emergency.
"Today’s announcement of 500million for the work of the Taoiseach’s new Shared Island Unit in the advancement of key infrastructure projects over the course of the next five years is an important step in our shared endeavour to improve the lives of our citizens right across the island.
“In New Decade New Approach, all partners committed to investing in all island infrastructure projects. People now need to see us deliver on our promises and I am pleased to see the Irish Government has stepped up in partnership.
“I look forward to working closely with my colleagues in the Irish Government to deliver transformative, all island, life changing infrastructure projects.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Street lighting upgrade scheme on the Northway, Portadown 19 October 2020
- Glenrandal Bridge, Claudy reopens following £420,000 replacement scheme 19 October 2020
- Council receives an update on infrastructure projects for Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council area 2020 19 October 2020
- Road improvement scheme for Tullynawood Road, Keady 16 October 2020