Infrastructure Minister, Nichola Mallon has confirmed that the planning application for the Dalradian mine project will be the subject of an independent Public Inquiry (PI).
Minister Mallon said:
“The planning application for the Dalradian Gold Mine project at Greencastle, County Tyrone was submitted to the Department in November 2017. Revised proposals including the complete removal of cyanide from any part of the application process were received in September 2019.
"The application has proved to be complex and in excess of 40,000 representations have now been submitted to my Department about the mine proposal. The planning application includes an assessment of the potential socio-economic and environmental impacts by a wide range of expert consultees.
"Before any decision is taken I consider it important to have a Public Inquiry and report which has independently considered the views of stakeholders, including the local community and other Government Departments, and which will robustly scrutinise the information provided by all interested parties.
"Once I am satisfied that all necessary detail and consultee responses have been provided I will move to call the Public Inquiry to allow for robust scrutiny of the application in a public forum.”
Notes to editors:
- During office hours (Monday to Friday, 0800hrs to1800hrs) media enquiries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Launch of recruitment competition for Nine Non-Executive Members for the Board of Belfast Harbour Commissioners 04 August 2020
- Mallon hosts series of virtual seminars on the challenges of Brexit facing our island 04 August 2020
- Shared cycle and pedestrian path between Dungiven and Foreglen opens 31 July 2020
- Minister Mallon welcomes successful bilateral with Irish Government Minister Ryan at NSMC 31 July 2020