Infrastructure Minister, Nichola Mallon has confirmed that the planning application for the Dalradian mine project will be the subject of an independent Public Inquiry (PI).
Minister Mallon said:
“The planning application for the Dalradian Gold Mine project at Greencastle, County Tyrone was submitted to the Department in November 2017. Revised proposals including the complete removal of cyanide from any part of the application process were received in September 2019.
"The application has proved to be complex and in excess of 40,000 representations have now been submitted to my Department about the mine proposal. The planning application includes an assessment of the potential socio-economic and environmental impacts by a wide range of expert consultees.
"Before any decision is taken I consider it important to have a Public Inquiry and report which has independently considered the views of stakeholders, including the local community and other Government Departments, and which will robustly scrutinise the information provided by all interested parties.
"Once I am satisfied that all necessary detail and consultee responses have been provided I will move to call the Public Inquiry to allow for robust scrutiny of the application in a public forum.”
Notes to editors:
- During office hours (Monday to Friday, 0800hrs to1800hrs) media enquiries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Reappointments and extension to the Board of Northern Ireland Water 06 December 2023
- Road Safety campaigns to reduce careless driving and speeding 01 December 2023
- The Department for Infrastructure announces intention to increase Strangford Lough Ferry fares 29 November 2023
- Publication of Young Persons’ Behaviour and Attitudes Survey 2022 Travel to and from School Factsheet 24 November 2023