Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon, has announced the appointment of Dr Theresa Donaldson as Chair to the Board of Belfast Harbour Commissioners.
Minister Mallon said:
“I am pleased to announce the appointment of Dr Theresa Donaldson to the Board of Belfast Harbour Commissioners. I am confident that she will use her significant experience to aid the Executive team and to lead the Board of the Port as it continues to successfully meet current and emerging market requirements and develop the estate as a key economic hub for Belfast to drive income from trade and tourism for the wider benefit of our citizens.
“I also want to take this opportunity to put on record my sincere thanks to the outgoing Chair, Dr David Dobbin for his commitment to the Belfast Harbour Commissioners. His leadership over the past six years, a period characterised by significant challenge and uncertainty, has been invaluable. The work he has led in developing the Port leaves an important legacy for his successor.”
The appointment will take effect from 1 July 2021 for a period of up to four years.
The appointment has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice.
Notes to editors:
- Belfast Harbour Commissioners is a Public Trust Port established by legislation. The Commissioners have responsibility, under a series of Harbour Acts and Orders, for developing, maintaining and operating Belfast Port to the highest standards of efficiency, financial prudence, environmental awareness, safety and security to the benefit of all stakeholders. The Constitution of the Commissioners was established under Schedule 1 of the Belfast Harbour Order (Northern Ireland) 2002.
- From the 1 July 2021, the Belfast Harbour Commissioners will have a membership of a Chair, an Executive Member, nine Non-Executive Members and four Councillor Members. The Chair currently receives remuneration of £54, 659 per annum.
- The Department for Infrastructure does not reappoint board members automatically to a second term. All appointments are made through open competition.
- Dr Theresa Donaldson is a Chartered Director and Fellow of the Institute of Directors. She is a Non-Executive Director, Chair and former Chief Executive, with Board experience in the semi-state, public and not-for-profit sectors. She has National and International experience of highly regulated business areas managing different governance arrangements in UK, Ireland and Northern Ireland. Dr Donaldson holds a number of Northern Ireland public appointments including: the Health and Social Care Board, for which she receives remuneration of £9700 pa; the Equality Commission – remuneration of £5000 pa and the Probation Board NI – remuneration of £5000 pa. She is also Vice Chair of the Eirgrid Group and Chair of SONI receiving remuneration of £10,900 pa. She holds non-remunerated Board positions with BBC Children in Need and the Centre for Effective Services. She is a member of the Lord Chief Justice’s Solicitors Disciplinary Panel and the Complaints Committee of the Legal Services Regulatory Authority.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Dr Donaldson has declared that she has not undertaken any recent political activity.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Ministers visit Narrow Water to provide update on iconic Narrow Water Bridge 15 October 2021
- Department for Infrastructure withdraws Planning Advice Notice on Development in the Countryside 15 October 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Cherryvalley, Belfast 14 October 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Ballymacarrett Road, Belfast 14 October 2021