Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has visited ongoing and completed infrastructure projects in the Castlewellan and Burren areas of South Down.
First event of the visit was to the £20 million Drumaroad Water Treatment Works in Castlewellan.
The treatment facility is one of the largest water treatment works in the region. It has a design capacity to produce up to 140 million litres of water every day.
Minister Chris Hazzard said:
“Around one fifth of the population across the region is served by Drumaroad Water Treatment Works. It provides customers in a large part of county Down, and South and East Belfast with high quality drinking water.
“The state-of-the-art works in Castlewellan represents an excellent example of the type of infrastructure I am determined to have in place to serve this generation and the next.”
The Minister went on to visit the recently completed road improvement scheme at the B7 at Milltown Street, Burren.
Minster Chris Hazzard said:
“Delivering tangible improvements to local areas forms a key part of my plans to improve the north’s transport network.
“The £200,000 investment in Burren has improved pedestrian facilities and footway links to the village. The widening of a section of Milltown Street and resurfacing of the carriageway from the village down to The Avenue has improved the infrastructure of the village for local residents and visitors. It will continue to deliver benefits for many years to come.”
The scheme was carried out following lengthy consultation with locally elected representatives and residents.
The Minister also visited a number of local rural roads initiatives in the Mournes area of South Down.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023