Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has opened the Europe and Africa Wakeboarding Championships being held as part of the annual Riverfest in Coleraine.
Through a partnership forged between Waterways Ireland and the Europe and Africa Wakeboard Boat Council, the Championships will be held by Waterways Ireland in Christie Park, Coleraine.
Speaking at the event, Minister Chris Hazzard said:
“I am delighted to accept the kind invitation from Waterways Ireland to help launch this great annual festival in Coleraine.
“This is the first time the European and African Wakeboard Championship has been hosted on the island of Ireland and I congratulate Waterways Ireland on the standard of facilities provided and their excellent promotional work in forging a partnership with the Europe and Africa Wakeboard Boat Council.
“This event goes a long way to inspire more people to discover and enjoy recreational activities on the inland waterways and this year, by hosting these Championships, they have raised that inspiration to a new level.”
This is the tenth year of Riverfest which attracts up to around 10,000 visitors annually.
Notes to editors:
- Wakeboarding is a surface water sport which involves riding a wakeboard over the surface of a body of water. It was developed from a combination of water skiing, snowboarding, and surfing techniques.
- The sport began in the 1980s and has increased in popularity to the extent that it is now a competitive sport governed by the International Waterski and Wakeboard Federation (IWWF).
- The Wakeboarding Championships are held annually in a European or an African country and this year is the first time they have been held in Ireland.
- Waterways Ireland is a North South Implementation Body with responsibility for maintaining, developing and promoting 1000km of navigable waterways throughout Ireland.
All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Infrastructure Minister meets Mental Health Champion 28 February 2024
- Dalradian Gold Ltd - Minerals Planning Application LA10/2017/1249/F and NIE Networks – Powerline Planning Applications LA10/2019/1386/F & LA11/2019/1000/F 26 February 2024
- O’Dowd invests additional £8.1m to repair the road network 25 February 2024
- Infrastructure Minister welcomes suspension of transport strike 25 February 2024