Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has today announced the introduction of the new state of the art £6.2 million Strangford Ferry in Co. Down.
The new Strangford Ferry, constructed by Cammell Laird in Liverpool will replace the aging MV Strangford, which was built in 1969 and is now beginning to reach the end of its operational life.
The Minister said:
“I am delighted to introduce the new Strangford Ferry which represents a significant investment for the people in Co. Down. The ferry is a state of the art vessel that will ensure that the people in the Strangford and Portaferry areas, as well as visitors to the area, can be assured of a reliable service between Strangford and Portaferry for many years to come.”
The new ferry is equipped with the latest technology in terms of marine engineering and ease of maintenance. It also provides a comfortable passenger lounge for the short journey between Strangford and Portaferry.
The vessel will go into service shortly once a Passenger Certificate has been obtained from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency. The new ferry will operate alongside the MV Portaferry II.
Some minor modifications have recently been completed to the vehicle ramps on the ferry to ensure that it lowers fully onto the slipway at high tides.
Notes to editors:
- The Department for Infrastructure provides half hourly sailings between Strangford and Portaferry every week day from 7.30 am to 10.45 pm, from 8.00 am to 11.15 pm on Saturday and from 9.30 am to 10.45 pm on Sundays.
- More information about the service can be obtained from the nidirect website at: www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/strangford-ferry-timetable
- Media enquiries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- £550,000 road improvement scheme for A22 Belfast / Comber Road, Comber 22 March 2023
- £520,000 road improvement scheme in Caledon 16 March 2023
- Planning fees to increase from 6 April 15 March 2023
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – February 2023’ 14 March 2023