Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has confirmed a part time 20mph speed limit will be in operation at Clonalig Primary School, Culloville, by the middle of next month after some final commissioning checks
The part time speed limit will apply for a distance of 400 to 500 metres along the road in the vicinity of the school.
Minister Hazzard said:
“These measures will enable the national speed limit to be reduced to 20 mph at times when pupils are arriving and leaving school. This will significantly improve safety in the vicinity of the school at the start and end of the school day. Similar measures recently introduced at Moyallon Primary School, Gilford and St Peter’s Primary School, Collegeland have had a positive impact.
“The safety of our children, especially as they travel to and from school each day is paramount. During the winter period with shorter daylight hours, all drivers are reminded to watch out for children walking or cycling, and to take extra care around school buses especially when children are getting on or off. I would also ask the public for their cooperation and to comply with the speed limits in order to improve road safety at all schools.”
When the signs are lit then the speed limit is in effect and will be enforceable by the PSNI. Motorists should be aware of the new arrangements in the vicinity of the school and should adhere to the signs. The signs will remain off for most of the time but will light up at the start and end of the school day when the speed limit is in effect.
Notes to editors:
- This is a relatively new initiative and the effectiveness on national speed limit roads will be monitored further in the coming months.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra.
- £550,000 road improvement scheme for A22 Belfast / Comber Road, Comber 22 March 2023
- £520,000 road improvement scheme in Caledon 16 March 2023
- Planning fees to increase from 6 April 15 March 2023
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – February 2023’ 14 March 2023