Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard today met with senior officials from five Councils to reaffirm his commitment to deliver the A5 Western Transport Corridor.
The A5 Western Transport Corridor is an Executive led scheme which aims to provide 85 kilometres (55 miles) of dual carriageway from south of Derry at New Buildings to south of Aughnacloy.
Commenting after the meeting, Chris Hazzard said:
“I am encouraged by the commitment and support for the A5 transport corridor shown by Derry and Strabane, Fermanagh and Omagh, Mid Ulster, Donegal and Monaghan Councils. One of my key priorities as Minister for Infrastructure is to remedy the North’s infrastructure deficit - particularly west of the Bann. The A5 transport corridor will provide a high quality road link between Derry, Strabane, Omagh and Ballygawley; it will unlock the potential for future economic development of these areas, including Counties Donegal and Monaghan; it will create immediate employment with over 1,000 jobs for the construction industry.
“The A5 scheme will underpin the economic and social development of the North West. I am currently engaging with Departmental officials to explore options to maximise delivery of the A5 and also want to engage with the Irish Government to ensure that they are key partners in the delivery of this project.”
The Public Inquiry into the scheme, which is being administered by the Planning Appeals Commission, is ongoing. Subject to the successful completion of all the statutory procedures and a satisfactory outcome from the Inspector’s Report, it is anticipated that construction can commence in late 2017 on Phase 1A in line with the Fresh Start Agreement.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Resurfacing scheme for B30, Newry Road, Lislea 03 February 2023
- Road improvement scheme for A2 Clooney Road, Caw to Gransha Roundabouts 03 February 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Cherry Road, Belfast 31 January 2023
- Resurfacing works at Coalisland Road, Dungannon to commence 27 January 2023