Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard today confirmed that he has instructed officials to 'call in' the forthcoming planning application by the GAA for the redevelopment of Casement Park.
This means that the application, when submitted, will be processed by the Department for Infrastructure and the final decision will rest with the Infrastructure Minister. The application is understood to be imminent.
The new GAA stadium represents an investment of £62 million as part of a £110 million Executive funding package for the Regional Stadia Programme for football, rugby and Gaelic games and remains an Executive commitment.
Minister Hazzard said:
“This is a hugely important project, not only for the west Belfast community, but for the whole region. I am acutely aware that whist there are potentially many economic and tourism opportunities with this stadium development, as well as the boost for sport and the benefits associated with sport, there are also significant concerns in the surrounding community about the localised impact of the development.
“I can give an assurance that a final decision on this planning application will not be made until all socio-economic and environmental impacts, both positive and negative, associated with the proposed stadium have been fully assessed, including the implications for the living conditions of residents in the surrounding streets.
“I welcome the fact that the GAA has been involved in extensive pre-application community consultation about the project and look forward to hearing the views and opinions of all stakeholders during the planning process.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or e-mail: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- £550,000 road improvement scheme for A22 Belfast / Comber Road, Comber 22 March 2023
- £520,000 road improvement scheme in Caledon 16 March 2023
- Planning fees to increase from 6 April 15 March 2023
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – February 2023’ 14 March 2023