Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has announced a £300,000 major carriageway resurfacing scheme on the B8 Newry Road, Hilltown.
This scheme, on the main Newry to Hilltown Road from its junction with the U6140 Yellow Road Hilltown to just beyond its junction with the U6165 Carmeen Road, will provide over 2 kilometres of new asphalt road surface and associated drainage improvement works
Minister Hazzard said:
“This significant investment of £300,000 will greatly improve the strength and surface quality of this road, address ongoing maintenance problems associated with the road and deliver benefits for the local community for many years to come.”
Preparatory work will commence on Monday 13 February 2017 on the scheme which is expected to be completed by Friday 7 April 2017.
Due to the narrow road width along this stretch of road and to protect the safety of the travelling public and contractors it will be necessary to close the road during the works.
A temporary road closure will operate daily from 8.30 am to 5.00 pm commencing Monday 13 February 2017 until 5.00 pm Friday 7 April 2017. The road will be open each evening and at weekends.
All Traffic is to be diverted via A25 Rathfriland Road Newry into Rathfriland and the B25 Rathfriland Road into Hilltown.
The planned dates for the scheme are subject to favourable weather conditions and TransportNI will keep the public informed of any change.
TransportNI has carefully programmed the works operations and traffic management arrangements in order to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however motorists should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
For more information about this and other improvement schemes visit: www.trafficwatchni.com
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- £550,000 road improvement scheme for A22 Belfast / Comber Road, Comber 22 March 2023
- £520,000 road improvement scheme in Caledon 16 March 2023
- Planning fees to increase from 6 April 15 March 2023
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – February 2023’ 14 March 2023