Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has announced the start of a £230,000 road improvement scheme on the A1 Dual Carriageway at Hillsborough, to improve safety for motorists.
The scheme involves the erection of a central safety barrier between Hillsborough Roundabout and the junction at Dromore Road, Hillsborough. To facilitate installation of the barrier, it is necessary to permanently close all crossing points along this stretch of the A1 including the right turn into Moira Road.
Chris Hazzard said:
“This significant investment of £230,000 will greatly improve road safety along this extremely busy stretch of the A1. The installation of the central safety barrier is welcome news for the 40,000 drivers who use the road each day.
“This is the first in a number of incremental improvements which may be progressed in advance of the delivery of the full A1 Junctions Phase 2 scheme. The works, when complete, will deliver benefits for all road users for many years to come.”
Work on the road improvements to the A1 at Hillsborough is due to commence on 6 February and are expected to be completed within six weeks.
The temporary traffic management required to carry out the works safely will consist of a 50mph speed restriction and lane closures adjacent to the central median in both the northbound and southbound carriageways. To minimise disruption to motorists, the lane closures are scheduled for overnight, between 8.00 pm and 6.00 am.
TransportNI has carefully programmed the works operations and traffic management arrangements in order to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however motorists should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
For more information about this and other improvement schemes visit: www.trafficwatchni.com/twni/
Notes to editors:
- The full A1 Junctions Phase 2 Road Improvement Scheme involves a number of further improvements to the A1 between Hillsborough Roundabout and Loughbrickland, including the construction of four flyover type junctions at: Listullycurran Road; Gowdystown Road; Skeltons Road/Drumneath Road; and Waringsford Road as well as a northbound on slip at Castlewellan Road; and a Link Road from the Milebush Road onto the underpass junction at Hillsborough Road, Dromore. The proposal also includes closing up all openings in the central median; installing a continuous central safety barrier and closing some minor road junctions along this stretch of the route.
- Development work on the full A1 Junctions Phase 2 scheme is ongoing and the current phase of this work involves the completion of the detailed design and Environmental Statement in preparation for taking the proposal through the Statutory Procedures. Whilst progression of the full scheme to construction remains subject to the proposal clearing the statutory procedures and funding, TransportNI is currently developing a strategy to provide incremental improvements, where possible, along the route.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Infrastructure Minister announces appointments to the Drainage Council Northern Ireland 18 June 2021
- Minister Mallon takes a step back in time at Crumlin Road Gaol 17 June 2021
- Update on essential maintenance works on M2 at Bellevue Bridge, Belfast 17 June 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Moyle Walk, Belfast 16 June 2021