Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has announced the start of a £100,000 major resurfacing scheme on Hillhead Road, Stewartstown.
The resurfacing works extends a distance of approximately 300 metres from West Street to Chambre Park. The work also includes the resurfacing of approximately 100 metres of footway.
Preparatory work began earlier this week on the scheme which is expected to be completed on week commencing 29 August.
The Minister said:
“This significant investment will greatly improve the strength and surface quality of this busy Loughshore route through Stewartstown and address ongoing maintenance problems associated with the road.
“Improving transport connections along our key routes while maintaining a network which is fit for purpose is a priority for the Executive. Schemes such as this, play a key part in achieving this.”
To help ensure the safety of road users and contractors it will be necessary to operate temporary traffic signals and road closures during the course of the improvements. Road closures are scheduled for four days from 9 August to 12 August with a further two-day closure on the weekend of 27 and 28 August to facilitate final surfacing of the carriageway.
During the road closures through traffic will be diverted via Mountjoy, Newmills and Cookstown. Advanced warning signage for the closures will be provided.
The above planned closure is subject to favourable weather conditions and TransportNI will keep the public informed of any change.
TransportNI has carefully programmed the works operations and traffic management arrangements in order to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however motorists should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Road improvement scheme for Stoney Road, Dundonald 21 October 2021
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – September 2021’ 20 October 2021
- Mallon visits Mid Ulster on 20mph action for schools 20 October 2021
- £250,000 resurfacing scheme for A2 Donaghadee Road Roundabout, Bangor 19 October 2021