Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has today announced a review of the renewal process for Blue Badge holders with life-long mobility issues.
Commenting on the changes which will now be consulted on, Minister Hazzard said:
"For many people with life-long mobility issues, the blue badge is a lifeline enabling them to integrate in the community and go about many of the daily routines many of us take for granted.
"Many of these badge holders have conditions which are unlikely to change and I am therefore very mindful of how the process can be adjusted. The consultation, which will take place over the coming months, will consider the renewal process and fees."
The Minister continued;
“I have asked officials to undertake a review through a consultative process that will begin early in 2017.
“The outcomes of that consultation will direct both the legislative and operational requirements to make the changes necessary to the renewal process.
"The review, I hope, will produce a simpler, more accessible application process for those applicants with life-long mobility issues.”
Notes to editors:
- The Blue Badge scheme provides wide ranging parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems.
- Concessions apply to on-street parking. Benefits include free on-street parking in pay-and-display bays.
- Badge holders may also be exempt from local limits on parking times imposed on others and can park for up to three hours on single and double yellow lines providing they are not causing an obstruction.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email:email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Council receives an update on road infrastructure projects for Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council 2022 26 September 2022
- Resurfacing scheme for Main Street, Ballykelly 22 September 2022
- New Planning Portal in Autumn 21 September 2022
- Minister O’Dowd delivers keynote speech on ‘Planning for Climate Outcomes’ at the Royal Town Planning NI Conference 2022 21 September 2022