Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has today announced a review of the renewal process for Blue Badge holders with life-long mobility issues.
Commenting on the changes which will now be consulted on, Minister Hazzard said:
"For many people with life-long mobility issues, the blue badge is a lifeline enabling them to integrate in the community and go about many of the daily routines many of us take for granted.
"Many of these badge holders have conditions which are unlikely to change and I am therefore very mindful of how the process can be adjusted. The consultation, which will take place over the coming months, will consider the renewal process and fees."
The Minister continued;
“I have asked officials to undertake a review through a consultative process that will begin early in 2017.
“The outcomes of that consultation will direct both the legislative and operational requirements to make the changes necessary to the renewal process.
"The review, I hope, will produce a simpler, more accessible application process for those applicants with life-long mobility issues.”
Notes to editors:
- The Blue Badge scheme provides wide ranging parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems.
- Concessions apply to on-street parking. Benefits include free on-street parking in pay-and-display bays.
- Badge holders may also be exempt from local limits on parking times imposed on others and can park for up to three hours on single and double yellow lines providing they are not causing an obstruction.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email:email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Mallon unveils preferred route for Cookstown Bypass Scheme 08 December 2021
- Council receives an update on roads infrastructure projects for Derry City and Strabane District Council area 08 December 2021
- Council receives an update on key infrastructure projects for Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council 07 December 2021
- Mallon announces main findings of Report on Pop-up Cycle Lanes 07 December 2021