Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has confirmed that plans are now in place to reduce the speed limit on three roads in Ballyhornan and one road in Kilclief from the national speed limit to 30mph.
The new speed limits are expected to come into operation by the end on the year or earlier, once all the necessary signage and roadmarkings are in place.
The restrictions will apply on the following roads:
- C366 Killard Road: 30mph – from a point 340 metres east of its junction with A2 Ardglass Road in an easterly direction to its junction with U240 Rocks Road – a length of 280 metres.
- U240 Killard Road: 30mph – from its junction with U240 Rocks Road to a point 117 metres north of its junction with Benderg Park – a length of 600 metres.
- U240 Rocks Road: 30mph – entire length – a length of 600 metres.
- U238 Bishopscourt Road: 30mph – from its junction with A2 Ardglass Road to a point 34 metres north east of its junction with Glebe Road – a length of 487 metres.
Commenting on the new measures, Chris Hazzard said:
“These restrictions are a welcome development to help improve road safety in Ballyhornan and Kilclief.
“Kilclief has seen a small rise in population lately which inevitably leads to larger volumes of traffic. Now that I have put these speed restrictions in place, I am confident they will help alleviate the concerns of local residents which I know have been voiced for some time.”
Notes to editors:
- The Traffic Regulation Orders were ratified by the Infrastructure Committee on 14 September.
- A notice has been published to advise of the making of the order.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of hours, please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- The DVA re-opens its practical driving test booking system for all customers with more capacity in the system 07 May 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Fenaghy Road, Cullybackey 06 May 2021
- Road improvement scheme for South Belfast 06 May 2021
- Mallon welcomes new bicycle repair station on Lagan Towpath at Lisburn 04 May 2021