A footway widening scheme on Shipquay Street at the arch under Shipquay Gate in the historic Derry Walls will commence on Tuesday 23 January 2024.
At present pedestrians must walk on the road to access Shipquay Street from the Guildhall area. This scheme will introduce a priority traffic control system similar to that in place at Bishop Street which will allow the footway to be widened under the arch creating more space and greater ease of movement for pedestrians using this busy street.
The materials selected for the widened footway will be consistent with the existing high caliber surfaces in the City Centre.
To help ensure the safety of those using the road and to facilitate the works it will be necessary to operate a single lane closure to traffic travelling into the City Centre from Foyle Street from Tuesday 23 January to Friday 8 February. Traffic will however be able to travel from The Diamond down Shipquay Street and through Shipquay Gate under a temporary traffic control arrangement.
During the period of the lane closure a signed diversion will be in place as follows: Shipquay Street – A2 Foyle Embankment – John Street – Carlisle Road - Ferryquay Street.
The Department has carefully planned these road works and associated traffic management arrangements in order to minimise inconvenience to the public. Road users are advised to allow extra time for their journey and to follow the alternative routes which will be clearly signed on the approaches to the closure. Local access for residents and emergency services will be maintained at all times.
Completion of the work by 8 February is subject to favorable weather conditions, however, the Department will keep the public informed of any change.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: Trafficwatchni
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra, on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure and on LinkedIn at DfILinkedIn
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Infrastructure Minister meets Mental Health Champion 28 February 2024
- Dalradian Gold Ltd - Minerals Planning Application LA10/2017/1249/F and NIE Networks – Powerline Planning Applications LA10/2019/1386/F & LA11/2019/1000/F 26 February 2024
- O’Dowd invests additional £8.1m to repair the road network 25 February 2024
- Infrastructure Minister welcomes suspension of transport strike 25 February 2024