Essential construction work on Barnetts Road, Belfast will begin on Monday 25 March and is expected to last around 12 weeks.
This work will provide concrete piles along Barnetts Road between Kings Road and Thornhill Parade, which will stabilise the Comber Greenway embankment and support a new footway and masonry wall.
To facilitate the work and ensure the safety of the public and road workers, it will be necessary to close Barnetts Road to through traffic between Kings Road and Thornhill Park from Wednesday 25 March until Sunday 12 April.
A one way lane closure will then operate from Monday 13 April until Monday 1 June when traffic will be permitted to travel from Kings Road towards Thornhill Park.
A full road closure will again be in operation from Monday 4 May until Friday 8 May to allow for final works.
To help ensure the safety of road users and road workers, we would ask the public to follow diversionary signs, comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to exercise extra care when travelling in the area. Access to all properties will be maintained and cyclists and pedestrians will still be able to connect with the Comber Greenway.
While all efforts will be made to minimise disruption, road users can expect some disruption and are advised to allow additional time when planning their journeys.
The planned dates for the scheme are subject to favourable weather conditions and the Department will keep the public informed of any change. This work will complete the Barnetts Road improvement scheme which included a widening and realignment of the carriageway and new footways on Barnetts Road between Kings Road and Thornhill Parade.
Full details of any planned traffic restrictions will be available on our TrafficwatchNI website at:
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartrmentforInfrastructure
- Mallon delivers MOT test centres to help fight COVID-19 06 April 2020
- Minister Mallon announces appointment of the Chair for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 01 April 2020
- Mallon urges the public to support frontline workers 30 March 2020
- Statistical press release – Public transport journey planning in Northern Ireland 2018/2019 26 March 2020