Major maintenance work on the M3 Lagan Bridge will begin on the 12 August 2016 and is expected to cause delays during eight weekend closures.
The work will take place on all four main carriageways of the M3 extending from the junction with the Westlink and the M2 at York Street to the junction with the A2 at Sydenham Bypass, and involves replacing the bridge expansion joints and resurfacing.
A TransportNI spokesperson said:
“This work is essential for maintenance purposes and will have long term benefits from the new bridge joints and road surface along this stretch.
“TransportNI has made every effort to programme the necessary works operations and traffic management arrangements to minimise inconvenience to the public. Motorists, however, should be aware that some delays can be expected and they should allow additional time when planning journeys.”
Rather than close all lanes, TransportNI has restricted closures to one main carriageway (two lanes) at a time, with all eight lanes to be open to traffic from 6.00 am to 11.00 pm Monday to Friday.
The work will be carried out by Highway Management (City) Ltd, as part of their Design, Build, Finance and Operate (DBFO) contract.
The diversion routes will be clearly signed, and full details will be available on our TrafficWatch website at:
TransportNI and the contractor will make every effort to minimise inconvenience, and would ask that the public exercise caution and patience whilst the works are in progress.
As with all works of this nature planned dates are subject to favourable weather conditions and TransportNI will keep the public informed of any unavoidable changes.
To complete the works lane closures will be in operation over eight weekends:
- From 11.00 pm on Friday 12 August until 6.00 am on Monday 15 August and from 11.00 pm on Friday 19 August until 6.00 am on Monday 22 August, approaching from Westlink direction the Nelson Street On-Slip, M3 eastbound and the Middlepath Street Off-Slip will be closed. The diversion route will include Nelson Street, Dunbar Link, Waring Street, Donegall Quay, Queen Elizabeth II Bridge and Middlepath Street. Road users travelling to the Titanic Quarter and SSE Arena will be diverted via Dee Street, Sydenham Road and Queen’s Quay.
- The closures for weekend 2 to 5 September have been cancelled
From 11.00 pm on Friday 9 September until 6.00 am on Monday 12 September and from 11.00 pm on Friday 16 September until 6.00 am on Monday 19 September, approaching from Bridge End / Middlepath Street direction the Middlepath Street On-Slip, M3 westbound and the Nelson Street Off-Slip will be closed. The diversion route will include Bridge End, Queens Bridge, Ann Street, Victoria Street, Dunbar Link and York Street
From 11.00 pm on Friday 23 September until 6.00 am on Monday 26 September, and from 11.00 pm on Friday 30 September until 6.00 am on Monday 3 October, approaching from M2 direction the M3 eastbound will be closed. The diversion route will include Duncrue Street, Corporation Street, Waring Street, Donegall Quay, Queen Elizabeth II Bridge and Middlepath Street.
- From 11.00 pm on Friday 14 October until 6.00 am on Monday 17 October and from 11.00 pm on Friday 21 October until 6.00 am on Monday 24 October approaching from Sydenham direction the M3 Westbound will be closed. The diversion route will include Bridge End, Dalton Street Link, Middlepath Street On-Slip, M3 Nelson Street Off-Slip, Great George Street and York Street.
Notes to editors:
- The bridge maintenance works have an estimated value of £1.5m and are part of a Design, Build, Finance and Operate (DBFO) contract.
- The Design Build Finance Operate Company is Highway Management (City) Ltd and the main contractor for the works is Universal Sealants Limited, Kingston House, 3 Walton Road, Pattinson North, Washington, Tyne & Wear, NE38 8QA.
- Media queries to the Press Office, Department for Infrastructure, Tel: 028 9054 0007. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.