A £300,000 major maintenance scheme on the M2 ‘Hill Section’ will begin on 17 June 2022 and is expected to be carried out over two weekends.
The work will take place on the northbound carriageway between Junction 2 (Greencastle) and Junction 4 (Sandyknowes) and involves replacement of deeper layers of road pavement.
This significant investment will have long term benefits in restoring the structure of the road to a good condition and will improve the structural capacity of the road and enable it to carry current and future traffic levels along this key route.
To facilitate the works road and lane closures will be necessary during the weekends of 17- 20 June 2022 and 1 - 4 July 2022.
The Department has carefully planned these road works and associated traffic management arrangements in order to minimise inconvenience to the public. Road users are advised to allow extra time for their journey and to follow the alternative routes which will be clearly signed on the approaches to the closure.
To complete the works the following road and lane closures will be in operation over the weekends of 17-20 June 2022 and 1-4 July 2022
- From 9.00 pm on Friday 17 June until 9.00 am on Saturday 18 June the road will be fully closed on the northbound side;
- From 9.00 am on Saturday 18 June until 6.00 am on Monday 20 June there will be one lane available on the northbound side;
- From 9.00 pm on Friday 1 July until 9.00 am on Saturday 2 July the road will be fully closed on the northbound side;
- From 9.00 am on Saturday 2 July until 7.00 pm on Saturday 2 July there will be one lane available on the northbound side;
- From 7.00 pm on Saturday 2 July until 10.00 am on Sunday 3 July the road will be fully closed on the northbound side;
- From 10.00 am on Sunday 3 July until 7.00 pm on Sunday 3 July there will be one lane available on the northbound side;
- From 7.00 pm on Sunday 3 July until 6.00 am on Monday 4 July the road will be fully closed on the northbound side;
- From 11.00 pm on Monday 4 July until 6.00 am on Tuesday 5 July the road will be fully closed on the northbound side;
During these periods a diversion route will be signposted from M2 Junction 2 (Greencastle) to M2 Junction 4 (Sandyknowes) and will include M5 Northbound, A2 Shore Road, B513 Station Road, B513 O'Neill Road, Prince Charles Way, and B90 Ballyhenry Road.
Completion of the work by 5 July 2022 is subject to favourable weather conditions, however, the Department will keep the public informed of any change. All work will be carried out in line with current public health and health and safety advice, with safe systems of working in place for staff and contractors.
The Department would like to thank the travelling public and local residents in advance for their patience and cooperation while these much needed works are completed.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: Trafficwatchni
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The work will be carried out by Highway Management (City) Ltd, as part of their Design, Build, Finance and Operate (DBFO) contract and the main contractor for the works is Northstone Ltd.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- O’Dowd visits Sion Mills Primary School to hear why pupils think the A5 should be upgraded 30 June 2022
- O’Dowd welcomes awarding of six road resurfacing contracts 30 June 2022
- Minister O’Dowd visits Waterways Ireland 28 June 2022
- O’Dowd celebrates female colleagues on International Women in Engineering Day 23 June 2022