Minister Mallon said: “I have already said that I want to see urgent progress on carrying out MOT tests and I am pleased to confirm that two new lifts are being installed to provide additional capacity – one in Belfast and one in Newbuildings, Derry.
"These lifts were pre-ordered at the end of 2019 as part of a programme to increase capacity within the testing network. Their deployment has now been accelerated due to the current disruption. These lifts will be independently inspected and checked before becoming operational. More information will follow on when and how these two new lifts will be operational but I expect that to be possible within the next few days.
“I have instructed the DVA that they are to be focussed on testing taxis and four year old cars for private customers and also car dealerships in the first instance. I have also instructed the DVA to speak with the Federation for Small Businesses to ensure clear communication is being delivered. I have already ensured that all other customers can be covered by the issue of temporary exemption certificates.
“My Department is not responsible for the clamping of vehicles, that is the DVLA. However, the DVA has communicated to the DVLA that customers unable to tax their vehicles due to this disruption should not be penalised.
“I will continue to push the DVA for progress on increasing the capacity for testing, whilst ensuring that safety remains the top priority for customers and staff.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Mallon delivers MOT test centres to help fight COVID-19 06 April 2020
- Minister Mallon announces appointment of the Chair for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 01 April 2020
- Mallon urges the public to support frontline workers 30 March 2020
- Statistical press release – Public transport journey planning in Northern Ireland 2018/2019 26 March 2020