Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has welcomed an additional £25 million funding allocation to stimulate and support Infrastructure development.
The funding, from the Executive's First Step Stimulus package, will be invested in roads maintenance and new buses.
Minister Hazzard said:
"This £25 million is a significant boost for the infrastructure sector and will help secure jobs in the construction and transport industries.
"The £15 million for roads will see communities across the north benefit from a better and safer roads network. This additional funding will target structural maintenance on the local road network to help address maintenance backlogs. It will also provide new drainage, reconstruction and resurfacing of around 150 kilometres of road. This announcement is a welcome boost for the public and the construction industry and will help sustain hundreds of jobs in the sector. This funding also allows me to advance preparatory development on a number of very important projects including Buncrana Road A2, the Enniskillen bypass and Cookstown bypass.
"Improving the public transport network is a key outcome in the draft Programme for Government and the £10 million allocated demonstrates the Executive’s commitment to achieving this. This funding secures 45 new buses for Ulsterbus, Goldline and Metro which will modernise our fleet, improve reliability and enhance our offer to customers. These will be Euro 6 buses which meet the lowest emission standards and a number of the vehicles will be procured locally, supporting the local economy.
"My Department has also been allocated £1 million capital funding for investment in LED street lighting. This is especially welcome as we approach the winter months and this investment will be used to deliver an additional 20 street lighting schemes in towns across the north."
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com
- Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Resurfacing scheme for B30, Newry Road, Lislea 03 February 2023
- Road improvement scheme for A2 Clooney Road, Caw to Gransha Roundabouts 03 February 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Cherry Road, Belfast 31 January 2023
- Resurfacing works at Coalisland Road, Dungannon to commence 27 January 2023