The Department for Infrastructure welcomes today’s NIAO report on ‘Structural Maintenance of the Road Network’ which highlights the vital role our infrastructure plays in supporting the region’s economic growth and connecting people and opportunities.
The Report recognises that for many years the funding for road maintenance has been below the level required to maintain the structural integrity of the road network and with some 26,000 kilometre of roads, 286,000 street lights, 5,900 bridges and 14,000 traffic signals to maintain, the Report identifies the need for planned, timely, targeted intervention.
Working closely with our colleagues in the Department of Finance, the Department will now consider the five recommendations outlined and what measures can be put in place to address the issues raised, making a formal response in line with accompanying guidance to the Northern Ireland (Executive Formation and Exercise of Functions) Act 2018.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- £250,000 road improvement scheme at Alliance Avenue, Belfast 14 June 2019
- £95,000 resurfacing scheme on Stream Street, Newry 13 June 2019
- Council gets update on infrastructure projects for Mid and East Antrim Borough Council 12 June 2019
- UPDATE: £200,000 resurfacing scheme for Crawfordsburn Road, Newtownards 07 June 2019