The Department for Infrastructure has today confirmed that it intends to appeal Monday’s High Court judgment in relation to the planning application for the proposed arc21 Residual Waste Treatment facility.
The Department is seeking clarity on the law in this case and in relation to decision making on other Regionally Significant planning applications.
The Department is clear that it would be preferable for these decisions to be taken by Ministers, however it has a duty to process planning applications and other planning cases and failure to do so has wide ranging implications for the Northern Ireland economy and the environment. It is therefore important to have clarity on the legal position in the continued absence of ministers.
While the Appeal process is underway, the Department will not take any further decisions on Regionally Significant applications and continues to carefully consider the full implications of the judgment on other planning cases. The Department will continue to progress applications in readiness to reach a final decision.
Notes to editors:
1. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383.
- £135,000 road improvement scheme on Shrigley Road, Killyleagh complete 25 May 2018
- £343,000 road improvement scheme on A2 Strangford Road, Ardglass 25 May 2018
- Drainage infrastructure scheme to commence in Cultra 25 May 2018
- Publication of DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator and Enforcement Statistics Annual 2017-2018 24 May 2018