The Department for Infrastructure has today paid tribute to the contribution to public transport of the outgoing Chair of the Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company, Mr Frank Hewitt, whose term as chair ends on the 30 June 2019.
Company, Mr Frank Hewitt, whose term as chair ends on the 30 June 2019.
Katrina Godfrey, Permanent Secretary of the Department for Infrastructure, commented:
“I would like to record my gratitude to Frank for the eight years of service he has given to the Board, as both a Non-Executive Director and Chairperson, and for the dedication, leadership and selfless commitment to public service that he has provided. During his time on the Board, Translink has achieved a significant increase in passenger numbers, the introduction of the Glider in Belfast, upgrades to the Derry-Coleraine line which have paved the way for the introduction of an hourly service between Coleraine and Derry, as well as the recently completed station in Portrush that will welcome visitors to The Open in July.”
Under the relevant provisions of the Transport Act (Northern Ireland) 1967, the power to appoint, extend, reinstate or reappoint to the Board of Translink, is specifically vested in the Minister for Infrastructure. In the absence of Ministers, and given this legislative requirement, it is not possible at present to make an appointment to the Translink Board.
The Department can confirm that the Translink Board will continue to function and make decisions following the end of Frank’s term as Chair.
Notes to editors:
- NITHC owns and controls seven private limited subsidiary companies together referred to as Translink and is Northern Ireland’s main public transport provider.
- The appointment of the Non-Executive Directors to the NITHC Board are appointments made by the Minister for Infrastructure. Mr Hewitt’s term as Chair expires at the end of his current appointment on 30 June 2019.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110
- Extension of Chair Appointment for the Board of Belfast Harbour Commissioners 12 December 2019
- £90,000 resurfacing scheme on A3 Cavan Road 11 December 2019
- The Department for Infrastructure announces the appointment of Chair to Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners (LPHC) 10 December 2019
- £253,000 resurfacing scheme on Head Road, Kilkeel 04 December 2019