The Department for Infrastructure is seeking the public’s views on new draft reports to inform an appropriate assessment associated with the A5 Western Transport Corridor dual carriageway project.
The reports have been updated following an initial consultation exercise during 2014 and the Department has published the new draft reports for public consultation from today until 22 May 2017.
The reports will be on display at a number of public offices over the consultation period and available online at www.a5wtc.com.
The A5 Western Transport Corridor is one of five key transport corridors identified in the Regional Transportation Strategy for Northern Ireland and is an Executive flagship project.
It would provide 85 kilometres of dual carriageway and represents a significant link between the urban centres of Londonderry, Strabane, Omagh and Aughnacloy and improved connectivity to the North West.
The consultation exercise is being undertaken in line with Habitats Regulations best practice.
Notes to editors:
1. The Department carried out an initial consultation exercise on four draft reports (2014) developed to consider any impacts on the integrity of all designated environmentally sensitive sites (9 in total) in the vicinity of the A5 Western Transport Corridor Scheme and highlight, where appropriate, mitigation measures that are proposed.
2. All the responses received at that time have been taken into account in the compilation of the updated draft reports.
3. The reports are available to view at the following Department offices:
- Western Division, County Hall, Omagh;
- Fermanagh & Omagh (East) Section Office, 32 Deverney Road, Arvalee, Omagh;
- Mid Ulster (South) Section Office, Main Street, Moygashel;
- Londonderry & Strabane Section Office, 20 Derry Road, Strabane;
- Londonderry & Strabane Section Office, 1 Crescent Road, Londonderry;
- Headquarters, Room 2-01, 10-18 Adelaide Street, Belfast;
- Mid Ulster District Council, Circular Road, Dungannon.
- Derry City & Strabane District Council, 47 Derry Road, Strabane.
- Derry City & Strabane District Council, 98 Strand Road, Londonderry.
- Fermanagh & Omagh District Council, Mountjoy Road, Omagh.
4. In addition, the reports may also be inspected during the same period at the offices of Monaghan County Council, Roads Office, MTEK II Office, Armagh Road, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan and Donegal County Council, Public Services Centre, Drumlonagher, Donegal Town, Co. Donegal.
5. A public inquiry on the A5 Western Transport Corridor dual carriageway scheme, administered by the Planning Appeals Commission (PAC) took place between October and December 2016.
6. The Inspector’s Report from the inquiry is expected to be with the Department in late May / early June of this year.
7. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383.
8. See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections/72157669044006236/
9. Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra