A multi-agency teleconference, chaired by local government, has been held to co-ordinate the response from departments, councils and utilities following an Amber warning for wind from early tomorrow morning.
All agencies are preparing for any impacts resulting from the weather and the public are asked to take necessary precautions when travelling as there may be disruption on roads.
Public information and safety messages:
- People should take due care if travelling and listen to local media broadcasts regarding the weather situation.
- Very strong winds are predicted making driving conditions hazardous, especially for more vulnerable road users, for example, cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists and high sided vehicles. Road users should pay particular attention to the risk posed by fallen trees and debris.
- Power outages could potentially occur. People should stay away from fallen cables that may have broken due to the high winds.
- People are asked to check in on isolated and vulnerable neighbours today in advance of the oncoming severe weather and after the worst of the weather has passed.
- People are advised to remove patio furniture, rubbish bins and any loose items from around buildings, which could be moved by the wind.
- Farmers are advised not enter fields bordered by trees or with powerlines unless absolutely necessary.
All responders will continue to work closely together to minimise any disruption.
Advice and emergency numbers are available on https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/winds
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer directly on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- £240,000 resurfacing scheme on A26 Banbridge Road, Lurgan 19 July 2019
- Strangford Ferry foot passenger fares to be suspended on Portaferry Gala Night 2019 18 July 2019
- £140,000 road improvement scheme on Burren Road, Ballynahinch 18 July 2019
- Extension of Non-Executive Member Appointments for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 17 July 2019