All statistics produced by the department are designated as 'official statistics' and a subset of these are designated as 'National Statistics'. As such, they are produced in line with the three pillars and associated principals and practices set out in the UK Statistics Authority's Code of Practice for Statistics.
Departmental statistical statements and policies
As well as complying with the Code of Practice, the Department further demonstrates its commitment to the Code by publishing statements of compliance with the pillars of Trustworthiness, Quality and Value.
These are included in the following document: Code of Practice for Statistics - DfI Statements of Compliance.
These statements are also supported by the following documents:
- Statement of Compliance with Pre-Release Order;
- Pre-release access lists;
- Revisions and Errors Policy;
- User Engagement Strategy; and
- Data Governance and Confidentiality Statement.
Data collected by DfI, NISRA, PSNI and Translink are processed by DfI Analysis, Statistics and Research teams in order to provide data to support the functions of DfI. More information on data collected by NISRA and PSNI can be found on the NISRA website and the PSNI website.
Review and assessment of statistics
The UK Statistics Authority, which was established as part of the Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007, is now responsible for the development and maintenance of the Code. Under the Code of Practice, statistics produced by the department are subject to regular review and assessment in order to verify that they are fully code compliant. Details of recent assessments are provided in the following documents:
- Assessment Report: Northern Ireland Planning Statistics
- Statistics on transport in Northern Ireland
- Northern Ireland Road Safety Strategy to 2020: Annual Statistical Report
- Driver and Vehicle Statistics in Northern Ireland assessment report
For general enquiries, data requests and feedback, contact Analysis, Statistics and Research Branch