I would be grateful if you would furnish me with the information requested below.
1) In November 2016, Minister Hazzard expressed his concern at the low pass rate for the theory element of the Taxi Driver Test, which was then standing at 16%. What is the current pass rate?
2) How many applicants have taken the theory test in each of the last 5 years?
3) How many applicants have passed the theory test in each of the last 5 years?
4) How many applicants have failed the theory test in each of the last 5 years?
5) Please outline the number of applicants, passes and fails broken down by Nationality (Northern Ireland, ROI, GB, Foreign Nationals) in each of the last 5 years?
6) Please outline the number of theory test re-sits in each of the last 5 years?
7) Please outline the number of theory test re-sits broken down by Nationality (Northern Ireland, ROI, GB, Foreign Nationals) in each of the last 5 years?
8) How much does the theory test cost?
9) Is there a maximum number of theory test re-sits an individual applicant may take and if so, what is that number?
10) How many applicants in each of the last 5 years have required an interpreter?
11) Who is responsible for paying an interpreter?
12) How is an interpreter appointed?
13) How is the interpreter used during the course of the theory test?
14) What safeguards are in place to ensure an interpreter does not assist the applicant other than with translation?
15) Is the pass mark for the theory test different for applicants who are foreign nationals?
16) Who devised the questions for the theory test? How often are they reviewed? Does the Department consider that some of the questions may now be irrelevant?
17) Has the Department investigated the cost and time frame to pass the theory test to become a taxi driver?
18) Please provide information with regard to the new periodic training for all taxi drivers which came into force on 31st October 2014
19) In June 2014, Minister Durkan indicated there was “too much enforcement activity addressing relatively minor licensing offences which reduces the resources available to address the illegal and dangerous taxis which are out there.”
i. How enforcement activity has changed to address this?
ii. What evidence is there to demonstrate its success?