The Scheme will provide 10353 metres of new and upgraded road and shall become trunk road and be part of the Belfast to Newry Trunk Road T4. In addition the Order also provides for the abandonment and stopping-up of certain roads. The scheme proposes road safety improvements along a 25.2km section of the A1 dual carriageway from Hillsborough Roundabout to Loughbrickland including:
- Closure of all gaps in the central reserve and provision of a continuous central reserve safety barrier between Hillsborough Roundabout and Loughbrickland;
- The grade separation of 4 junctions with new flyover-type junctions at the following locations:- Listullycurran Road; Gowdystown Road; Skeltons Road/Drumneath Road; Waringsford Road;
- A northbound on-slip to the A1 from Castlewellan Road, Banbridge;
- A new link road from the Milebush Road to the existing Hillsborough Road Junction at Dromore;
- Closure of 9 selected side roads with the remainder of side roads and private accesses operating as left-in / left-out; (a number of private accesses will also be closed)
- Rationalisation / relocation of existing bus-stops from the mainline to adjacent junction locations; and
- Provision of Intelligent Transport Systems including CCTV & Variable Message Signing.
- the content of the decision;
- a description of the main measures to avoid, reduce and, if possible, offset the major adverse effects of the project;
- information about the consultation carried out in compliance with Articles 67A(8) and 67B, the representations received on consultation, and any changes made as a result of those representations; and
- the Inspector’s Report on inquiries held into the proposal,
may be inspected by any person, via electronic versions at A1 Junctions Phase 2 - Notice of Intention to Proceed documents
In accordance with Article 67BA(1) of the 1993 Order, anyone who wishes to question the validity of the Department’s decision to proceed with the scheme on the ground that—
(a) it is not within the powers of the 1993 Order; or
(b) any requirement of Part V of the 1993 Order has not been complied with in relation to the decision may, within 6 weeks from the date of publication of this notice, make an application for the purpose to the High Court.
Trunk Road Order
The Trunk Road T4 (loughbrickland to Hillsborough) Order (Northern Ireland) 2021
The Department has made a Statutory rule entitled ‘The Trunk Road T4 (Loughbrickland to Hillborough) Order (Northern Ireland) 2021’ (S.R. 2021 No. 152) which will come into operation on 16 July 2021.
The Order provides that 10353 metres of new road described in Part I of the Schedule, shall become trunk road and be part of the Belfast- Newry-Land Frontier T4.
The Order also provides for the stopping-up of certain junctions, the stopping-up of certain roads to road traffic and the stopping-up of certain roads to motor vehicles as set out in parts II to IV of the schedule and to the abandonment of roads as per part V of the Schedule.
Copies of the Order may be obtained fromRoom 2-01
10-18 Adelaide Street
or viewed online at
The Private Accesses on the Trunk Road T4 (The A1 Junctions Phase 2 - Loughbrickland to Hillsborough) (Stopping-Up) Order (Northern Ireland) 2021
The Department has made a Statutory Rule entitled “The Private Accesses on the Trunk Road T4 (“the A1 Junctions Phase 2 – Loughbrickland to Hillsborough”) (Stopping-Up) (Northern Ireland) 2021”, (S.R. 2021 No. 143), which comes into operation on 24 June 2021.
The Rule will stop-up 36 private accesses for which alternative access will be provided and 4 private accesses for which no alternative access will be provided on a length of the A1 between Loughbrickland and Hillsborough.
During the current Covid-19 restrictions, a copy of the Rule may viewed at DfI offices during office hours (Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm) by appointment only. Appointments can be arranged either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 0300 200 7899.
The Rule may also be viewed online at