Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has announced that work on the next phase of the Blaris Greenway will commence on Monday 23 November.
The £160,000 scheme will be Phase 3 of the Greenway linking Sprucefield Park and Ride to Halftown Road, a distance of 1.4 kilometres.
The work will consist of resurfacing the existing service road to provide a safe and quiet route for those who walk, wheel and cycle. It will be between three and four metres wide and will also include passing bays to allow local access for agricultural vehicles.
Minister Mallon said:
“The expansion of the greenways programme is an integral part of my commitment to inspire more walking, wheeling and cycling and I am ambitious to bring about a change culture on how we travel.
Since I opened the Blaris Greenway between Sprucefield Park and Ride and Blaris Road back in August I have been encouraged by the numbers using it for leisure and retail purposes or to commute onwards to Lisburn or Belfast.
This latest phase will develop this further and I am pleased that we could accommodate safe access for local farmers in the plans. I look forward to see the greenway completed and being fully utilised by locals, commuters, tourists and the agricultural community.”
To ensure health and safety it will be necessary to close this section for the duration of the work. The Department apologises for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Subject to favourable weather conditions all work will be completed by mid January 2021.
Notes to editors:
- This is Phase 3 of the Blaris Greenway. Phase 1 linked from Spucefield Park and Ride to Blaris. Phase 2 linked from Sprucefield Park and Ride into Sprucefield Retail Park.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Mallon opens five million pound financial assistance scheme for Private Coach and Bus Operators 27 November 2020
- Attitudes to Electric Vehicles in Northern Ireland 2019/20 has been published today 26 November 2020
- Publication of DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2020-21 Quarter Two 25 November 2020
- Road improvement scheme for Drumard Avenue, Tullyroan Drive, Fitzgerald Park and Old Rectory Park, Portadown 25 November 2020