TransportNI Divisional Network Maintenance Planning Manager, Cathal Brown met with Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council to update members on the Department for Infrastructure’s programme for the area and progress on schemes underway in Antrim and Newtownabbey.
Addressing Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council, Mr Brown said:
“In the next six months, the Antrim and Newtownabbey area will see the completion of a number of infrastructure projects that will realise significant benefits for both the local community and commuters.
“The coming months will see upgrades completed including the A8 Ballynure Road from Corrs Corner Roundabout to Houstons Roundabout and C31 Carnmoney Rd, Newtownabbey. Combined this represents an investment of £1.19 million and a range of other Local Traffic and Safety Measures have also already been delivered.
Mr Brown was also able to advise Council that additional funding secured in the October monitoring will facilitate the delivery of a further £800,000 of structural maintenance work in the Council area this financial year.
“The Vehicle Restraint System A6 Belmont Road, Antrim is already completely replaced and a similar scheme at A522 Castleway in Antrim is under way.”
Concluding Mr Brown said:
“It is also worth noting other infrastructure works in the area recently completed, including £750,000 invested to resurface 1.8 kilometres of carriageway, most notably, A2 Station Road Roundabout at Shore Road Newtownabbey, B518 Ballycraigy Road, Antrim and U1136 Ballydonaghy Road, Crumlin.
“In addition, £387,000 has been invested to provide surface dressing treatment on 66 kilometres of carriageway and more than 5.5 kilometres of rural roads have also been resurfaced under the Rural Roads Initiative at a cost of £411,000.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Minister O’Dowd welcomes bus strike suspension 16 May 2022
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – April 2022’ 13 May 2022
- Road improvement scheme for Largymore Drive and Lansdowne Park, Lisburn 03 May 2022
- Temporary closure of lower deck of Craigavon Bridge, Londonderry 03 May 2022