Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has announced the commencement of a review of the renewal process for Blue Badge holders with lifelong mobility issues
The review, in the form of a targeted written consultation to representative groups would be developed with the aim of streamlining the renewal process for Blue Badge holders with lifelong mobility issues.
Minister Hazzard said:
“On 22 November 2016 I announced a review of the renewal process for Blue Badge holders with life-long mobility issues.
“I am very aware that, for many people with life-long mobility issues, the blue badge is a lifeline enabling them to go about their daily routines which so many of us take for granted.
“This review will include engagement with various organisations and individuals, with a view to improving the renewal system based on information provided by those who are affected the most.”
The Department has been working closely with a range of representative groups on the development and introduction of the new online application process. In conjunction with the Inclusive Mobility and Transport Advisory Committee (IMTAC) the Department will consult with a range of organisations, which can provide considerable assistance on the difficulties faced by those with mobility issues.
Minister Hazzard continued saying:
“Many of these badge holders have conditions which are unlikely to change and I therefore want to investigate how the process can be adjusted to make life easier for them. The review will aim to inform and enable a simpler application process for applicants with life-long mobility issues and I am confident that any recommendations will make for a better scheme in the future.”
The review will consider the legislation constraints and welfare benefit rules that affect those applicants with life-long mobility issues when making an application to renew their Blue Badge.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- £550,000 road improvement scheme for A22 Belfast / Comber Road, Comber 22 March 2023
- £520,000 road improvement scheme in Caledon 16 March 2023
- Planning fees to increase from 6 April 15 March 2023
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – February 2023’ 14 March 2023