Phase 2 of the road improvement scheme on the section of the A5 Omagh Road, Ballygawley between Shantavny Road and Ballynasaggart Road commenced on Thursday 15 October 2020.
To date work to install new drainage and kerbing has already been completed with further works continuing during week commencing 9 November. The current lane closures, speed limit and traffic control arrangements will continue during this period.
Carrying out the works while keeping this key transport route open to live traffic and maintaining a safe work environment has proved particularly challenging. As a result there has been some slippage from the original planned programme.
The next stage which involves laying the final road surface and road markings had originally been due to commence on the weekend of the 7 and 8 November and continue on Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 November. This work will now be carried out on the weekends of Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 November and Saturday 28 and Sunday 29 November.
The road will be closed to Omagh bound traffic on those weekends. During this time a signed diversion will be in place via A4 Ballygawley, Augher, Clogher, Fivemiletown, Enniskillen, A32 Irvinestown, Dromore and Omagh. The road will remain open to Belfast bound traffic but will be subject to traffic control measures including speed limit and prohibition of overtaking.
Road users are asked to avoid the route where possible and are advised to allow extra time for their journey and to follow the alternative routes which will be clearly signed on the approaches to the closure.
Completion of the work is subject to favourable weather conditions, however, the Department will keep the public informed of any change. All work will be carried out in line with current public health and health and safety advice, with safe systems of working in place for staff and contractors.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: Trafficwatchni.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- LED street lighting upgrade for Newcastle Main Street 15 January 2021
- Publication of DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – December 2020 15 January 2021
- Street Lighting Renewal Scheme, Great Northern Road, Omagh 14 January 2021
- LED Street Lighting Upgrade Scheme, Wellington Road, Enniskillen 14 January 2021