The ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – March 2023’ report, containing statistics up to March 2023, is now available.
The publication is produced by the DVA Statistics Branch of the Department for Infrastructure (DfI), and contains summary volumes on the vehicle, driver, and theory tests conducted by the DfI’s Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA).
The publication is available on the DfI website at: Driver and Vehicle Agency Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics
- In March 2023, the DVA conducted 92,262 full vehicle tests, the highest monthly figure on record. This figure is 39% (25,975) above the five-year March average (66,287).
- Private cars accounted for 82% (75,391) of all full vehicle tests conducted in March 2023.
- The DVA received 96,505 applications for a full vehicle test during March 2023.
Driving Practical Testing
- The DVA conducted 5,760 driving tests in March 2023. This figure is 53% (1,986) higher than the five-year March average (3,774).
- Private cars accounted for 81% (4,643) of all driving tests conducted in March 2023.
- In March 2023, the DVA received 6,677 applications for a driving test.
Driver Theory Testing
- The DVA conducted 8,131 theory tests in March 2023, 48% higher than the five-year March average (5,480).
- Private cars accounted for 83% (6,768) of all theory tests conducted in March 2023.
- The DVA received 9,451 applications for a theory test during March 2023.
Notes to editors:
- This is the thirty-first edition of the publication ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics’, to March 2023.
- The release presents statistics on vehicle, driver, and theory tests conducted during March 2023, together with trend series over the previous seven financial years.
- We source vehicle and driver data from administrative data sources within the DVA, whilst DVSA supply theory-testing data. The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) took over the contract for theory testing from Pearson on 4 September 2021.
- ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics’ is published every month at pre-announced release dates, which are available from the GOV.UK website.
- Electronic copies of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – March 2023’ can be downloaded from our website at: Driver and Vehicle Agency Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics
- A detailed User Guidance document is also available on our website.
- This report supplements the existing quarterly National Statistics publication ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics’. The latest edition of this for quarter three 2022-23 was released on 1 March 2023 and is available on our website at: Driver & Vehicle Agency Activity Statistics
- This is an Official Statistics publication and therefore follows the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. You can find further information about the Code of Practice at Statistics Authority
- For further information, please contact:
Driver and Vehicle Agency,
Belfast Test Centre,
66 Balmoral Road,
- Tel (public enquiries): 02890 547911 (Text relay prefix 18001)
- E-mail: DVA.Statistics@nisra.gov.uk
- Website: Driver and Vehicle Agency Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra, on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure and on LinkedIn at Department for Infrastructure.