A £110,000 carriageway resurfacing scheme on the Ballynahinch Road, Castlewellan will start on Monday 2 December 2019
The resurfacing work will extend a distance of approximately 500 metres from the Claragh Road / Ballylough Road junction to the Carnreagh Road / Drumcaw Road junction. The scheme will deliver significant improvements to both the structural integrity and surface of the road and will improve road drainage.
Due to the nature of the scheme it will be necessary to operate a daily weekday road closure between the hours of 9.00 am and 6.00 pm from Monday 2 December to Friday 20 December. The closure will allow preparatory works such as kerbing and drainage to be carried out.
During these times a diversion will be in place with traffic being diverted via Ballylough Road, Ardnabannon Road / Castlewellan Road, A24 Main Street, Castlewellan / Newcastle Road / Drumaness Road and Spa Road / Dunmore Road / Edendarriff Road and Drumaroad Hill. The road will be open to traffic in the evenings during the week and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Diversionary routes will be clearly signed and local access for residents will be maintained at all times during the works.
A further road closure, at a date in the New Year to be confirmed, will be required to carry out the resurfacing work. More details will be available nearer the time on www.trafficwatchni.com.
In order to help ensure the safety of road users and road workers the public is asked to comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to drive with care when travelling through, or in the vicinity, of the works.
The Department has carefully programmed the work and traffic management arrangements to minimise any inconvenience, however, drivers should expect some delays and are advised to leave additional time when planning any journeys.
The scheme preparatory work is expected to be fully complete by 20 December, however this is subject to favourable weather conditions. The Department will keep the public informed of further road closures required to carry out the resurfacing of the road.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Mallon to extend Theory Test Pass Certificates for learner drivers. 08 July 2020
- Resurfacing scheme for Belfast Road, Newry 08 July 2020
- Road improvement scheme for O’Neill Road, Newtownabbey 08 July 2020
- Resurfacing scheme for Knocknashinna Road, Downpatrick 07 July 2020