Infrastructure Minister John O’Dowd has welcomed the awarding of street lighting contracts with an annual value of approximately £17million.
This is the first phase of the Department’s Term Contracts for Street Lighting Maintenance and Improvement Works and will cover the following Council areas: Derry & Strabane; Fermanagh & Omagh; Mid & East Antrim; Antrim and Newtownabbey; Lisburn & Castlereagh; Ards and North Down; and Newry, Mourne & Down. The contracts will commence at the end of October.
Minister O’Dowd said:
“This is welcome news which will allow the Department to continue to reduce its electricity consumption through the use of energy efficient LED street lighting units and enable the replacement of aging street lighting installations. This work will also improve road safety and enhance the night time environment of people living in and travelling through these areas.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department for Infrastructure overall procurement strategy for Street Lighting Maintenance and Improvement Works consists of eight term contracts tendered in two phases. Procurement of the second phase is ongoing and consists of 4 separate term contracts covering the areas of Belfast; Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon; Mid-Ulster; and Causeway Coast and Glens. These contracts are programmed for award in early 2023. Existing contracts in those areas will remain until that time, which will ensure that a full street lighting service will continue to be provided.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023