Minister for Infrastructure John O’Dowd has outlined his commitment to improving the quality of life for people across the north.
Following a meeting with the Department’s Senior Management team Minister O’Dowd said:
“I am acutely aware that this is an incredibly difficult time for people across the north with the cost of living crisis having a real impact on their lives. In 2022 it is simply not acceptable that people are having to choose between heating their homes or having enough food to put on the table. We need to come together to do all we can to support people at this most challenging of times.
“I know that the infrastructure portfolio is so important to the daily lives of all our people, our communities, our environment and our economy. I want to look closely at what more we can do, both within the Department, and alongside our stakeholders to help people.
“Over the coming days and weeks I intend to meet with communities, stakeholders and partners to see what we can do to help deliver a sustainable infrastructure that supports our economy and an improved quality of life for all. In the absence of an agreed budget, the challenges in delivering vital public services are greater. Of course we know that the absence of a functioning Executive and no budget in place for this year, makes the challenge all the greater. Vital funding is locked away. New initiatives within the department cannot be undertaken.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- O’Dowd visits Sion Mills Primary School to hear why pupils think the A5 should be upgraded 30 June 2022
- O’Dowd welcomes awarding of six road resurfacing contracts 30 June 2022
- Minister O’Dowd visits Waterways Ireland 28 June 2022
- O’Dowd celebrates female colleagues on International Women in Engineering Day 23 June 2022