Infrastructure Minister John O’Dowd has committed his support to the continued sustainability of Rathlin on his second visit to the island as Infrastructure Minister.
Minister O’Dowd visited Rathlin Island today to chair a meeting of Rathlin Ministerial Forum and to find out more about the community’s vision for the Rathlin East Lighthouse.
Minister O’Dowd said:
“Rathlin islanders are committed to making Rathlin a carbon neutral island and I want to ensure that Rathlin is supported to grow in a green and sustainable manner.
“Sustainable island life is not inevitable and requires focus and support. The challenges faced by the island and the islanders are different and need to be addressed in a different way.
“The partnership approach which has been developed in respect of the Policy and Action Plan for the island is delivering results for the island and I am keen to continue to support that approach
“On my visit today I was also shown around the East Lighthouse and heard about the community’s exciting plans for the site. I am keen to support this project which builds on the support my Department is providing for an e-transport scheme on the island."
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110
- Follow us on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook at DepartmentforInfrastructure
- O’Dowd grants planning permission for Kells Solar Farm 06 October 2022
- Road improvement scheme for Carnreagh Road, Hillsborough 06 October 2022
- O’Dowd joins pupils to celebrate 50th Anniversary of Road Safety Teaching Calendar 06 October 2022
- Road improvement scheme for Lough Road, Lisburn 06 October 2022