The Department for Infrastructure has announced that Dunaverty Limited will be the new ferry operator on the Rathlin Island to Ballycastle route.
This development follows several weeks of engagement between the Department for Infrastructure and Rathlin Island Ferry Limited in relation to matters arising from the contract between them, including the financial position of the ferry company. The Department received notification today from the company that it is to cease trading with immediate effect.
Recognising the importance of the ferry service for the local community, the Department has been taking forward work on potential contingency arrangements with the expectation that these could be implemented urgently.
Weather permitting, the new operator will commence services from Friday 13 January 2023 with a passenger only vessel running five return sailings a day. Once all the relevant approvals are in place with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), the full scheduled timetable of sailings will commence including the Department’s vehicle carrying vessel, the Spirit of Rathlin.
Charles Stewart from Dunaverty Limited who also owns and operates Kintra Tours commented:
“I am delighted to have been awarded the contract to operate the ferry service between Rathlin Island and Ballycastle and look forward to working with the Department, the existing workforce and the local community to continue to develop and grow this lifeline service.”
The Department has an oversight and co-ordinating role in relation to the Rathlin Island Policy, which is a NI Executive policy to ensure continued and sustainable growth of Rathlin, Northern Ireland’s only off-shore inhabited island. One of the main priorities within the Policy is to provide an affordable and reliable link between Rathlin and Ballycastle and the Department welcomes that this vital link has been able to be restored for the benefit of the local community and other visitors.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Resurfacing scheme for B30, Newry Road, Lislea 03 February 2023
- Road improvement scheme for A2 Clooney Road, Caw to Gransha Roundabouts 03 February 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Cherry Road, Belfast 31 January 2023
- Resurfacing works at Coalisland Road, Dungannon to commence 27 January 2023