A Public Inquiry on the A1 Junctions Phase 2 Strategic Road Improvement Scheme will begin on 11 March 2020 at 10.00 am in the Belmont House Hotel, Banbridge.
In June 2019 the Department concluded its consultation on the draft Statutory Orders and an Environmental Impact Assessment Report for the above strategic road improvement scheme. There were more than 100 responses received and while the majority were in support of the scheme, a number of objections from landowners and others were also submitted. The Department was unable to resolve the issues raised and subsequently concluded a Public Inquiry was needed to enable the scheme to progress to the next stage.
Welcoming the inquiry, Infrastructure Minister, Nichola Mallon said:
"I am very aware how important the A1 improvements are for the many people who have expressed their support, especially those who have lost loved ones. While my department must of course complete all of the necessary statutory processes, I want particularly to reassure those families who have long awaited these improvements that we are keen to progress to the next stage as quickly as possible."
The Inspector for the Inquiry has arranged for a pre-inquiry meeting starting at 7.00 pm on 6 February 2020 in the Belmont House Hotel.
Notes to editors:
- The purpose of the pre-inquiry meeting is to facilitate arrangements for the schedule/programme for the Inquiry and it will focus only on such administrative matters. The Departmental Statement is available at: https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/publications/a1-junctions-phase-2-departmental-statement-public-inquiry
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Updated Statement in relation to MOT car and light vehicle tests: 23 January 2020
- DfI Statement in relation to MOT car and light vehicle tests 23 January 2020
- £239,000 resurfacing scheme for Rathkeel Road, Broughshane 23 January 2020
- £138,000 road improvement scheme at Clifton Park Avenue, Belfast 20 January 2020