Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has announced that from today (Friday 26 June) travel restrictions will be amended to allow people who have pre booked accommodation on Rathlin Island to travel on the ferry.
From 3 July tourists wishing to visit the island using the ferry service will be permitted to do so, although capacity on board vessels will be restricted due to social distancing measures.
Minister Mallon said:
“I am pleased to announce the further easement of travel restrictions on the Rathlin Island Ferry Service. These changes are being introduced in consultation with the people of Rathlin.
“I know that this will be a timely boost to those businesses on the island offering accommodation or hospitality to visitors and to those with second homes on the island.
“I would ask all those travelling to the island to please continue to be responsible and adhere to the guidance given on essential travel and social distancing.
“We all have a personal responsibility to protect the health and well-being of ourselves and others. The Covid-19 virus is still with us so it is vital we do not become complacent.
“I want to pay tribute to the island community for their resilience during this period and hope that this move is another step closer to a return to normality.”
Notes to editors:
- Further information on the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020 and subsequent amendments can be found on at: https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/publications/health-protection-coronavirus-restrictions-northern-ireland-regulations-2020
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Launch of recruitment competition for Nine Non-Executive Members for the Board of Belfast Harbour Commissioners 04 August 2020
- Mallon hosts series of virtual seminars on the challenges of Brexit facing our island 04 August 2020
- Extension of Non-Executive Member appointments to the Board of Belfast Harbour Commissioners 2020 31 July 2020
- Shared cycle and pedestrian path between Dungiven and Foreglen opens 31 July 2020