Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has confirmed that the temporary scheme to provide free travel for health care staff on public transport services will be extended to 31 August 2021 after which time normal charging will resume.
The Minister said:
“In March 2020 at the outset of the Covid-19 pandemic I took the decision to make public transport free for all health and social care workers in recognition of the tireless and vital work they undertake day and daily. This was a small gesture to those workers who put themselves in the frontline to save lives and look after some of the most vulnerable in our community.
“As we move through the Executive’s Pathway to Recovery, it is essential to continue to review the measures put in place. In line with this, I can confirm that the scheme will be extended to 31 August 2021 after which time normal charging will resume. Whilst the scheme was always intended to be temporary, I know this will be disappointing to many. I want to reassure our essential workers that our public transport will continue to be there for you.”
To ensure that customers are obtaining the best value travel, Translink will work with health workers to assist with which ticket option will be most suitable for them. To get more information, customers can visit www.translink.co.uk/traveltowork or call Translink’s contact centre on 02890 66 66 30 where its agents will be able give guidance on the best options.
The free travel for health and social care staff will also cease on the Strangford and Rathlin ferry services from 31 August 2021.
Notes to editors:
- Free travel on public transport for health and social care workers applied from Friday 27 March 2020 to 31 August 2021
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Mallon extends temporary changes to major planning application process 24 September 2021
- Infrastructure Minister announces appointments to the Board of the Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company 23 September 2021
- Competition Launched for Non-Executive Board members 23 September 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Old Holywood Road, Belfast 22 September 2021