Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has affirmed her commitment to language equality by announcing that signage containing the Irish language will be rolled out on the West Belfast Glider route from Millfield to McKinstry Road.
Minister Mallon said:
“In line with the commitments to Irish Language in New Decade, New Approach, I am delighted to announce my intention to rollout Irish language signage on the West Belfast Glider Route. This will see signs on board these Glider vehicles across the west for the first time in both Irish and English. This is a step in the right direction for language equality and while it’s just a first step, I want to make clear that I am ambitious and committed to realising the change promised in New Decade, New Approach and a year on since the signing of this Agreement, I am pleased that I am making progress on the promises made to our Irish language community.
“These new measures will be implemented as quickly as possible. As I have outlined since coming to office, one of my priorities in government will be to ensure equality is at the heart of all that we do. Equality cannot wait and while there is still much more work to be done, I want to send a clear signal that the change needed must come.
“I look forward to working with all partners right across Northern Ireland to deliver on the promises our citizens deserve.”
Notes to editors:
- Bilingual signage was introduced on the Metro 10 corridor following a public consultation in early 2011 by Translink. The work announced seeks to ensure that this policy is implemented on the section of the Glider route that covers the Metro 10 corridor.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press at email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Respect people who are delivering public services – Nichola Mallon 04 March 2021
- Extension of appointments to the Drainage Council for Northern Ireland 02 March 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Derrylee Road, Maghery 02 March 2021
- Resurfacing scheme for A46 Belleek Road, at The Brooke, Enniskillen 02 March 2021