Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has met with the China Investment Corporation in Beijing today, in the first of a series of meetings to discuss investment and infrastructure opportunities in the north.
The Minister raised a number of specific infrastructure projects that offer potential investment opportunities.
Speaking following the meeting, Minister Hazzard said:
“China is the largest manufacturing economy and exporter of goods and the world's fastest growing consumer market.
“I had a very useful meeting with the President of the China Investment Corporation Tu Guangshao, who expressed an interest in learning more about investment opportunities in the north and I invited him and his company to visit in the future.
“There is much to be learned from China and over the next few days I will be meeting a range of organisations to gain a better understanding of the role of transport in facilitating and supporting economic growth across the country and how this success could be replicated for our local economy.
“I will also be exploring opportunities for Chinese investment in local transport projects and learning how Chinese authorities have taken forward the design and delivery of more sustainable and integrated public transport systems.
“These are outcomes which are also set out in the Executive’s draft Programme for Government and I will be looking closely at how these systems have been developed and what elements could be adopted here as I move ahead to develop our sustainable and public transport network.”
Over the next few days Minister Hazzard will also meet with a range of local authority and infrastructure management organisations including Beijing Municipal Council, the Vice Governor Hubei and Shanghai Port Management Board.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or e-mail: email@example.com
- Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- The DVA re-opens its practical driving test booking system for all customers with more capacity in the system 07 May 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Fenaghy Road, Cullybackey 06 May 2021
- Road improvement scheme for South Belfast 06 May 2021
- Mallon welcomes new bicycle repair station on Lagan Towpath at Lisburn 04 May 2021