Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard today gave his commitment to improve conditions for people living on Rathlin Island.
Speaking on his first official visit to Rathlin, the Minister said he was committed to the Rathlin Island Policy and Action Plan.
Chris Hazzard said:
“I believe it is vital that we strive to make Rathlin a vibrant, healthy, sustainable community that looks to its future in a positive way. It is only right that islanders receive access to public services that the rest of us often take for granted and the Executive’s policy will seek to improve the conditions of all people on the island while also protecting its natural and cultural heritage."
During his visit, the Minister viewed the ongoing Harbour works, the Manor House project and the proposed wind turbine site with Michael Cecil the Chairman of the Rathlin Development and Community Association (RDCA) and other Association members.
The Minister added:
“Today’s visit has given me the opportunity to see for myself the progress being made on our only inhabited off-shore island. My Department will continue to support the island through the Rathlin Island Policy, Action Plan and Ministerial Forum and I am keen that we continue to be involved in key projects which will enable the community to move forward in a positive way.
“My Department and the community were recently involved in revising the current Rathlin Island Action Plan. I have had an opportunity to view the draft Plan and think the revised format brings the Plan to life. I look forward to launching it in the near future.
“I also look forward to returning to Rathlin in September to Chair my first Ministerial Forum meeting which monitors the progress of key stakeholders in implementing the Rathlin Island Action Plan. I will continue to work with the Islanders and other interested parties to ensure the sustainability of island life and the promotion of a vibrant island community.”
Notes to editors:
1. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection:
Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Statistical press release – Publication of Road Safety issues in Northern Ireland 2018/19 20 February 2020
- £80,000 footway reconstruction scheme for Hillhall Park, Lisburn 20 February 2020
- £120,000 road improvement scheme for Tempo Road, Enniskillen 20 February 2020
- Mallon announces £226,000 road improvement scheme for Baranailt Road, near Claudy 20 February 2020