Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has agreed to commence the scheduled gritting of a route serving Lisneal College, Derry.
The Minister had requested that TransportNI assess traffic volumes in and around the school on this previously unadopted road with a view to it being added to the scheduled gritting network.
Minister Hazzard said:
“Following representation made to me in November about the potential danger for those attending Lisneal College, I asked officials to review the traffic figures. I can now advise that the section of road through Summer Meadows which is currently maintained by TransportNI, will be included in the scheduled gritting network."
“My Department has to prioritise its resources and our key priority is to salt main traffic routes to keep traffic moving safely. Approximately half of the road has been adopted by my Department and consideration will be given to extending this service once the remainder of the road is adopted from private ownership.”
Re-emphasising the need for the public to be prepared in anticipation of inclement weather the Minister continued saying:
“I would encourage people to take extra care and attention when making any journey and to be extra vigilant of our neighbours, particularly the elderly. Despite everyone’s best efforts there is no guarantee that roads will always be completely free of ice.”
Notes to editors:
1. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
2. See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections/72157669044006236
3. Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra.
- Publication of Travel Survey For Northern Ireland 2013-2015 Urban-Rural Report 25 May 2017
- Publication of DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator and Enforcement Statistics Annual 2016-2017 25 May 2017
- Council gets update on infrastructure projects for Newry Mourne and Down 23 May 2017
- Council gets update on infrastructure projects for Causeway Coast and Glens 23 May 2017