The Department for Infrastructure has announced that the appointment term of Dr Leonard O’Hagan, Chair of Northern Ireland Water has been extended.
This is with effect from 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020.
The extension has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice.
Notes to editors:
- Northern Ireland Water (NIW) was established on 1 April 2007 as a government owned company with the Department for Infrastructure as the sole shareholder. NIW is responsible for the delivery of water and sewerage services in Northern Ireland. NIW operates in a complex governance and regulatory environment. It is a Companies Act company, a Regulated Utility and, because of its financial arrangements, it is treated as a Non-Departmental Public Body (NDPB) for public expenditure purposes.
- The NIW Board currently has a membership of a Chair, five Non Executive Members and three Executive Members. The Chair of Northern Ireland Water currently receives remuneration of £40,000 per annum based on anticipated attendance of four business days each month. There is scope for five additional days at £1,000 per day.
- Dr O'Hagan has extensive international and national governance and directorial experience in both the public and private sectors. His current roles include; Chair of the All Island CHD Network Board, Senior Independent Director of INM PLC and Independent Director of the College of Anaesthesiologists.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr O’Hagan has declared that he has not undertaken any recent political activity.
- The Department for Infrastructure does not reappoint board members automatically to a second term. All appointments are made through open competition. This is an extension rather than a re-appointment.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- £250,000 road improvement scheme at Alliance Avenue, Belfast 14 June 2019
- £95,000 resurfacing scheme on Stream Street, Newry 13 June 2019
- Council gets update on infrastructure projects for Mid and East Antrim Borough Council 12 June 2019
- UPDATE: £200,000 resurfacing scheme for Crawfordsburn Road, Newtownards 07 June 2019