The Department for Infrastructure advises that there will be disruption to the public services it has responsibility for over the next seven days as a result of all out strike action by a number of trade unions.
While contingency arrangements are in place, to limit potential impacts as much as possible, this strike action will affect many of our routine and emergency response functions including:
- Repair of serious infrastructure defects such as manhole collapse or potholes;
- Significantly reducing our capacity to respond to flood emergencies;
- Significant delays in responding to calls to the flood incident line;
- Prioritisation of assistance to those incidents with most impact to life and property;
- Response and clear-up operation when there are incidents on the road such as oil spills or unexpected debris;
- Drainage infrastructure clearing and cleansing.
Unfortunately the Department will be unable to provide the minimum number of crew needed to safely operate the Strangford Lough Ferry Service and has no option but to suspend services during this period of industrial action.
Notes to editors:
- Members of the public should continue to report defects on the road network using NI Direct: Problems with roads and streets | nidirect
- In the event of flooding the public should continue to report a flooding on 0300 2000 1000
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure and on LinkedIn at Department for Infrastructure
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023